In years to come, with the benefit of hindsight and water under the bridge (pun absolutely intended), I’m sure that we’ll all look back on 2016 and laugh. Or cry. Or both…
But for the time being, let’s just look back on the year’s highs and lows. Not necessarily in chronological order, not necessarily all to do with punting, and not all of them necessarily directly related to us. Think of this as a shorter, less funny, more Cambridgey version of Charlie Brooker’s annual review…
- We were awarded a Trip Advisor certificate of excellence. Check it out:
- Some engineering students made a pedal powered punt
- We wrote our infamous What’s in a name? blog post that quite a few people read and one person even commented on!
- William Shatner partook in a spot of punting – http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2016-08-16/star-trek-star-swaps-the-enterprise-for-something-more-leisurely/ (not on one of our punts)
- We made a couple of videos that some people watched (not all of them related to us).
- There was a punting bake off – http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2016/09/01/news/andrew-smyth-s-punt-at-bake-off-title-takes-him-through-to-the-next-round–676626/ – thanks to the creativity of a former Cambridge student
- We hit (over) 600 followers on both Facebook and Instagram and (nearly) 800 on Twitter
- More celebrity punting – http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/amanda-holden-helps-tamzin-outhwaite-9204767
- We launched a page where you can find accommodation if you’re planning a stay in or around Cambridge
- We sponsored a local football team
- We took loads of beautiful photos of Cambridge
- Cambridge City Council introduced a PSPO banning touting away from recognised punt stations in Cambridge. As we speak, unauthorised punting is still taking place – who’d have guessed it?
- Brexit happened
- Donald Trump happened
As for what 2017 has in store, your guess is possibly as good as ours. Let’s make lists and compare notes in a year’s time. Until then, Happy New Year from all of us at Cambridge River Tours!