First of all, we absolutely promise that this isn’t a copy paste of last year’s review, with a few things changed. We definitely wouldn’t do that to you.
Secondly, we know that the year hasn’t actually finished yet, but, seriously, not much happens at this time of year, does it?
Ok, let’s get on with it…
Wow, what a year
2016 2017 was.
In years to come, with the benefit of hindsight and water under the bridge (no pun intended), I’m sure that we’ll all look back on 2017 and cry. Or laugh. Or maybe cry with laughter…
But for now, let’s take a look back on this year’s highs and lows. Not necessarily in reverse chronological order (or in any kind of order really), not necessarily all to do with punting, and not all of them necessarily directly related to us. Some of it maybe a little bit political. All of them definitely necessary. Maybe.
Think of this as a shorter, almost as funny, more Cambridgey version of Charlie Brooker’s annual review… (yes, we are available for TV work).
- We were awarded another Trip Advisor certificate of excellence (hurrah, two years in a row!). On that note, if you have been punting with us and haven’t left us a review, we would very much appreciate it if you could. We have lots of customers every year but not many of you leave us reviews and our competitors are overtaking us in the listings. That makes us sad. Check it out and click the logo to be taken to our listing:
- We wrote our 19 reasons to visit Cambridge in 2017; a blog post that literally went viral (not sure about the use of literally there but go with it). Also, most of those reasons will apply to visiting Cambridge in 2018 too, so don’t think you’ve missed your chance
- We got to be on the radio, thanks to the above blog post
- Dr. Jamie Huw Roberts partook in a spot of punting. If you’re not a fan of rugby you could almost be forgiven (almost) for not knowing who he is – http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/rugby-jamie-roberts-cambridge-river-13607194 (not on one of our punts)
- We made more videos that some people watched:
- One of them even made the news – btw if you notice this being used elsewhere please let us know as it will be without our permission. Also, I definitely did not say “and that”
- Our business continued to grow, thanks to a combination of new and returning customers
- We hit (over) 700 followers on Facebook and over 1000 on both Instagram and Twitter (about blimmin’ time!). If you aren’t following us in those places, now’s your chance
Our weather tweets are now the stuff of legend:
— Cambridge River Tour (@Punt_Cambridge) December 7, 2017
Sad to report chaotic scenes of people trying to gain entry to #Cambridge without Christmas hats yesterday. This is not how civilised people behave. Be the change you want to see… https://t.co/nBi59muGgJ
— Cambridge River Tour (@Punt_Cambridge) December 8, 2017
- We took loads more beautiful photos of Cambridge
- We published more articles about the beauty of Cambridge, one about the Cambridge Backs and another about the Bridges of Cambridge
- Work has finally started on the Cambridge city ice rink! We’re very excited about this because it has been in the pipeline for at least the last 20 years or so
- Cambridge City Council very much lived up to expectations, by not really doing a great deal to enforce the PSPO banning touting except for at recognised punt stations in Cambridge. As we speak, unauthorised punting is still taking place and over the course of 2017 it has escalated. Who’d have guessed it? In theory the city council are seeking a high court injunction against those flouting the rules but there is no sign of this happening yet
- Brexit is apparently still going ahead
- Donald Trump hasn’t been arrested. Yet
As for what 2018 has in store, your guess is possibly as good as ours. Let’s make lists and compare notes in a year’s time. Until then, here’s wishing you a happy Christmas from all of us at Cambridge River Tours!